The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) is a reputable organization that strives to address, evaluate, treat and prevent auditory, language and speech issues. The organization is comprised of professionals from an array of fields, including audiologists and hearing scientists.
One of their contributors, PhD Michael Stewart, a professor of Audiology at Central Michigan University wrote an informative article for their website about the dangers of shooting a gun without proper protection for your ears. Let’s take a look at some of his more interesting findings in the article.
- Noises that are greater than 140db can cause significant and permanent hearing damage. The overwhelming majority of guns create a noise above 140d db.
- People who use firearms are more likely to experience hearing loss.
- It is not a gradual issue; people can experience hearing loss after just one shot. Although it is not overly likely, a combination of factors can cause that to occur.
- Typically, firearm users with hearing damage have issues hearing “high pitched sounds,” and many suffer from tinnitus, which is ringing in your ears.
- According to different studies, only half of firearm owners use hearing protection during target practice.
Fortunately, as the article and our website conveys, this grave issue can be easily prevented by owning and wearing proper ear protection. It is prudent to think of your hearing protection as a vital part of your hunting gear, just as you would think of your gun or camouflage when preparing for a hunting outing or trip. Moreover, remember to take them with you anytime you go to the range or practice outdoors. As evidenced by the studies mentioned in the article, many people are forgetting them for practice, even though your ears are at the same risk practicing as they would be out in the woods when you shoot at a deer or at a different animal.
The top advantage of shooting earplugs from ESP is that hunters can protect their ears without losing their ability to hear the different sounds of the outdoors that can lead them to their prey. If you have any questions, or would like to learn more about the benefits of our products, please contact us today.